tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Mike McCown" <MMcC...@securitybroadband.com>
Subject log4j fighting with Commons-Logging in Tomcat 4.1
Date Thu, 24 Jul 2003 23:17:08 GMT
Not sure if this is a Tomcat or Commons-logging question, but it seems
to be an issue of how Tomcat uses logging, so I'm asking here.

I just started using Tomcat 4.1 (moving from another server).  My apps
were all coded to use the Log4j logger (1.2.8). Here's my problem.

When starting up, Tomcat apparently uses commons-logging.jar (actually,
it first uses commons-logging-api.jar??).  It creates a default console
appender for my loggers in a format I hate ("milliseconds-since-start
[Thread-x] LEVEL category - text").  Now, my log4j.properties file,
which I've put into the $CATALINA_HOME/common/classes directory, also
sets up a console appender (in a format I like).  Both of these
appenders now write to the console, so I get 2 lines for each logger
entry.

Question:  How the heck do I get rid of (or change the format of) the
default console appender that Tomcat creates??

(Sorry if this is obvious - I've searched the FAQs, RTFM'd, and moved
properties and jar files all over the place, but I *cannot* figure this
out!!)

Mike

The information in this email may be confidential and/or privileged.  This
email is intended to be reviewed by only the individual(s) or
organization(s) named above.  If you are not an intended recipient, then
any review, dissemination or copying of this email, any attachments or any
information contained herein is prohibited.  If you have received this
email in error, please immediately notify the sender by return email and
delete this email from your system.       This email and any attachments
are not intended to constitute an offer or acceptance and do not create or
evidence a contract or any amendment to a contract between Security
Broadband and the intended recipient(s) or any other party.  This email
and any attachments may not be relied on by anyone as the basis of a
contract.  By sending this email, the sender does not consent to conduct
(by electronic means) any transactions that may be the subject of this
email.  Any such consent must be separately and expressly obtained in
writing manually executed by an authorized representative of Security
Broadband.