tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: 500 Custom Error
Date Wed, 30 Jul 2003 12:58:56 GMT

Howdy,

> Are Custom Error pages available for 500 errors?

500's are tough, as they are internal server (i.e. not your webapp's)
errors.  I don't recall the spec on this point, but at some point I
thought error page customization only had to be available for 300 and
400 range HTTP status.

As 500's can occur anywhere in the request processing pipeline, it's
difficult to provide the custom error page hook for them.

> This is under tomcat 4.0.4. (Although production will be under
> 4.1.24)

Not a good idea: there are significant differences between the 4.0.x and
4.1.x branch of tomcat, and you should at least test, if not develop, on
4.1.24 before deploying to it.

Yoav Shapira