tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: [Q] Is it safe to create threads in Tomcat web-apps?
Date Mon, 28 Jul 2003 13:24:33 GMT

Howdy,

>I cannot see why creating a daemon thread cannot cater
>for this. You just start the thread in the init method
>of the InitServlet (or any servlet you create with
>start-when-app-starts).

I'm actually a fan of the background daemon-thread approach, and think
the user-threading limitations in full J2EE containers is unfortunate
(although I know where it comes from).

Be careful about starting and stopping threads in the init/destroy
methods of servlets, however, as the container can create/destroy your
servlets (including load-on-startup servlets) almost whenever it wants
to.  Consider using a context listener instead.

Yoav Shapira