tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Recycling Tomcat
Date Mon, 21 Jul 2003 13:04:32 GMT

Howdy,
Actually, it looks like the first problem is with your administrator ;)
The second is likely with your webapps: why are they crashing tomcat? ;)

But given that neither of those can be changed, it seems your problem is
OS-specific.  There's no tomcat lock file with the default installation
on Solaris, Redhat, Win 2000, or Win XP (all my machines -- I don't have
a Mandrake so I can't speak for your specific setup).

Restarting a specific webapp via the Manager webapp works fine for me.
When tomcat crashes completely, because there's no lock file the normal
startup script works fine.  If tomcat is hung (which, if it happens, is
caused by your webapps, I'm 99.9% sure), killing it and then the normal
startup script works fine.  You can use the CATALINA_PID argument to
startup.sh to name the file where tomcat's PID will be listed.

Yoav Shapira
Millennium ChemInformatics

The
>administrator has also told me "While there is a restart available it
does
>not work correctly. Essentially it tries to start Tomcat before it is
>finished  stopping it.  I can recycle Tomcat by stopping then waiting
about
>a minute then starting Tomcat. Again, as long as Tomcat was running
this
>works fine."
>

>  I would also love to be able to recycle Tomcat remotely. I am remote
from
>the server but have access to it from SSH, which gives me a secure
command
>line to the server.
>
>  Can anyone help with suggestions for either problem?
>
>  Rhino
>  ---
>  rhino1 AT sympatico DOT ca
>  "If you want the best seat in the house, you'll have to move the
cat."