tomcat-users mailing list archives

Site index · List index
Message view « Date » · « Thread »
Top « Date » · « Thread »
From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: 'Package does not exist' and 'cannot resolve symbol' woes
Date Fri, 18 Jul 2003 18:46:00 GMT

Howdy,
Let's get back to basics to simplify things:

- Do a clean installation of tomcat to a new location.  Don't install
Apache, don't connect to the existing apache, leave it standalone
tomcat.

>The part that's got me stumped is that I've got multiple copies of the
>com.nexl.dmgr.DashboardUnmarshaller class and other com.nexl classes in
>places I think Tomcat should be looking to find them, yet it's still
unable
>to find the package.  The .java and compiled .class files are in
>/home/msdadm/htdocs/WEB-INF/classes/com/nexl/dmgr/, as well as in the
>nexlbundle.jar file in /home/msdadm/htdocs/WEB-INF/classes/lib/, and
>/usr/local/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.24-LE-jdk14/shared/lib/.  As you can see
from
>the classpath listed in the error message below, all three of these
>directories are on the classpath.

WEB-INF/classes/lib is not a correct location for anything except
classes whose package is "lib" (a rare but valid use-case: not your use
case).

Remove the nexlbundle.jar from shared/lib.  Remove the lib directory and
its contents under WEB-INF/classes.  Remove the unpacked classes and
java files from WEB-INF/classes.  Put only the nexlbundle.jar file in
WEB-INF/lib.

That will fix 98% of your problem.  The other 2% are:

>jdk14/work/Standalone/localhost/_/dashbo
>ardTree_jsp.class doesn't exist.

Clean out the work directory of your tomcat server and try again.

>ardTree_jsp.java:14: package com.nexl does not exist
>    [javac] import com.nexl.*;

You do realize the nexlbundle.jar contains no com.next classes, right?
Only com.nexl.dmgr and com.nexl.xml classes.  You need to import those
packages if you want them.  Importing com.next.* does not import these
child packages.

After you get it to work standalone, you can add Apache back in and move
the nexlbundle.jar to the shared or common repository if you'd like.

Yoav Shapira



This e-mail, including any attachments, is a confidential business communication, and may
contain information that is confidential, proprietary and/or privileged.  This e-mail is intended
only for the individual(s) to whom it is addressed, and may not be saved, copied, printed,
disclosed or used by anyone else.  If you are not the(an) intended recipient, please immediately
delete this e-mail from your computer system and notify the sender.  Thank you.


---------------------------------------------------------------------
To unsubscribe, e-mail: tomcat-user-unsubscribe@jakarta.apache.org
For additional commands, e-mail: tomcat-user-help@jakarta.apache.org


Mime
View raw message