tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shap...@mpi.com>
Subject RE: Classpath Conundrum (2nd try)
Date Thu, 17 Jul 2003 20:25:59 GMT

Howdy,
Having followed and this whole thread and bit my tongue until now...

>Somehow there must be a way to get the class loader to look in the
>"/foreign" and "/native" directories :-(

Searching the list archives reveals that every now and then someone
comes along with your situation or a near approximation, and every time
they go through all sorts of twists/bends/hacks to get it to work.  It's
always the same hassle, with one of two possible results:

1. They sober up and modify their directory structure into a more
conventional structure such as the one outlined here:
http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/appdev/deployment.html

2. They do manage to make a hack work, resulting in a non-standard,
non-portable, non-supported, fragile, difficult to maintain
installation.

You can save yourself and your employer a lot of time and write an Ant
script that deploys into a standard structure from the messed up one you
have now.  That way the developers can still work with their directory
structure (native, foreign, etc.), the source code control system does
not need to be changed, and you don't have to hack around the servlet
container's classloading.

Yoav Shapira