tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "James Courtney" <Jcourt...@inphonic.com>
Subject RE: How do I determine sessions within Tomcat?
Date Wed, 09 Jul 2003 01:44:53 GMT
Mark,
	Another option is to write a callback class that is registered with each session using the
HttpSessionBindingListener interface.  Each time a session is destroyed, either explicitly
by the user or implicitly by Tomcat (user just closed browser) then your widget should have
its valueUnbound method called and you could update your DB.

I haven't worked with the SessionListener before but that sounds more tailor made for the
purpose you intend than my solution above.

Jamey

-----Original Message-----
From: Mark W. Webb [mailto:mark@dolphtech.com]
Sent: Tuesday, July 08, 2003 1:36 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: How do I determine sessions within Tomcat?

All you need is the following in your context's web.xml file :

<listener>
        <listener-class>my.own.SessionListener</listener-class>
</listener>

there should be an example in the examples context.  That is where I got
mine from

Turansky, Mark wrote:

>ok, I see th session listener interface in the javadocs as well as the session event class.
 any advice regarding *how* I plug it into tomcat?  Is your method a standard J2EE solution
or will this be Tomcat specific?

>thanks for the quick reply,
>mark

way to access all the sessions currently held in server memory?

>>My application is tracking users in a database table.  Upon login, I log the session
id along with a timestamp and other pertinent information.  If the user specifically clicks
the "log out" button, I can update my table with another timestamp, but I assume many will
simply timeout.  How do I update my table with their logout timestamp in the event of timeout?
 I was hoping to make a simple maintenance thread in the background that would check existing
sessions against my database table for this purpose.

>>Thanks in advance,
>>Mark

Mark Webb
Software Engineer