tomcat-users mailing list archives

From René Vangsgaard <rene.vangsga...@tietoenator.com>
Subject Client authentication - no client certificate
Date Mon, 21 Jul 2003 15:47:47 GMT
Hi

I have successfully setup Tomcat with SSL and client authentication, and I
have successfully identified myself to the web application using a browser
certificate. But when I access a port with client authentication enabled
WITHOUT sending a certificate, I receive an error from Tomcat. I would like
to present a nice web page to the user describing the error, but I cannot
seem to find where to configure the error page. If it is configurable, can I
configure it per request?

Tomcat gives me the following stack trace (using Mozilla 1.4):
Thread-14, WRITE: TLSv1 Handshake, length = 774
Thread-14, READ: TLSv1 Handshake, length = 141
*** Certificate chain
***
Thread-14, SEND TLSv1 ALERT:  fatal, description = bad_certificate
Thread-14, WRITE: TLSv1 Alert, length = 2
Thread-14, called closeSocket()
Thread-14, handling exception: javax.net.ssl.SSLHandshakeException: null
cert chain

With IE 6.0 I get the following stack trace:
Thread-13, WRITE: SSLv3 Handshake, length = 774
Thread-13, READ: SSLv3 Alert, length = 2
Thread-13, RECV SSLv3 ALERT:  warning, no_certificate
SSL -- handshake alert:  no_certificate
Thread-13, handling exception: javax.net.ssl.SSLProtocolException: handshake
ale
rt: no_certificate
Thread-13, SEND SSLv3 ALERT:  fatal, description = unexpected_message
Thread-13, WRITE: SSLv3 Alert, length = 2

Regards,
René