tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Simon Pabst <simon.pa...@web.de>
Subject mod_jk round robin problem & stateless session beans
Date Mon, 14 Jul 2003 21:17:28 GMT
We have the following setup:
One Apache with HTTPS/SSL with mod_jk (one load balancer, sticky sessions
on) in front
Eight Tomcats in back

Round Robin doesn't work, but instead the Users are distributed on the
Tomcats like this:

Tomcat No.| User Count (approx. daily)
T1		70
T2		30
T3		15
T4		6
T5		1
T6		0
T7		0
T8		0

This occurs both with Apache1.3.27/mod_jk1.2.x and Apache2.0.45/mod_jk2.x
(mod_jk 1 and 2 built from source of jakarta-tomcat-connectors-4.1.24-src
and later also of tomcat-connectors-1.1M1-src).

Anyone ever experienced something similar or has any insight in this?

According to the application developer the application is using stateless
session beans.
(Since i'm just a stupid server admin and no Java Programmer i don't really
now what that is :-)

I tested the Load Balancing with the Tomcat SessionExample and round robin
seemed to work fine.
If i switch of sticky session round robin also works fine, but not the
application :-)

Do stateless session beans even work with mod_jk's sticky session stuff?
(in this discussion
http://www.theserverside.com/discussion/thread.jsp?thread_id=409
somebody said:
"if the application stores the stateless session bean in the httpsession,
the application risks having all of the workload to only one of the nodes
in the cluster")

If anyone knows how sticky sessions of mod_jk(2) work, please enlighten me :-)
Is it IP based in any way, are Cookies involved or JSESSIONID or anything else?
Could it be a problem that all Tomcats are on the same machine? (i tested
this with pseudo network addresses 127.0.0.1-8 for each Tomcat too, but
didn't help either)
Could HTTPS cause any troubles for this?