tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Simon Pabst <simon.pa...@web.de>
Subject Re: Need help with performance issue - Tomcat 4.1.X
Date Fri, 11 Jul 2003 19:32:48 GMT
Could be a Memory Leak/Garbage Collection issue (we had a similar problem
with a memory intensive app),
maybe your heap is too small and java is running many Full GC's.
Start java with -verbose:gc and look in tomcat/logs/catalina.out for
Garbage Collections.
(set Environment Variables JAVA_OPTS or CATALINA_OPTS in bin/catalina.sh to
do this in Tomcat)

================================

Try using a bigger Heapsize (though if you've got a Memory Leak that will
only delay your problem)
or set initial Heapsize to same as maximum, for example 128MB:
-Xmx128m -Xms128m

================================

Modify the Connector you are using to access Tomcat (in
tomcat/conf/server.xml) and
try using more Tomcat Processors (maxProcessors=XX) or a bigger accept
queue length (acceptCount=XX)
(test value for acceptCount: at least > concurrent users x 3)

================================

Try using another method of garbage collection,
if you're using JDK 1.4.1 i'd try either

ConcurrentGC with ParNewGC (ParNewGC on Multi-CPU machines):
-XX:+UseConcMarkSweepGC -XX:+UseParNewGC

or ParallelGC with AdaptiveSizePolicy (saves you the work of Java Heap
usage analyzing :-) :
-XX:UseParallelGC -XX:+UseAdaptiveSizePolicy

A good article on GC can be found here:
http://wireless.java.sun.com/midp/articles/garbagecollection2/