tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jacob Kjome <h...@visi.com>
Subject RE: JDBCRealm - Session not timing out
Date Thu, 10 Jul 2003 17:29:05 GMT
There is a fundamental difference between Basic AUTH and the
HttpSession.  The former gets you general access to the application.  The
latter is used for persistence of data across a given amount of time.  So,
if the user let their session time out, but their browser is still open so
the Basic AUTH gets resent automatically, you'd just start them over with a
new session.  Don't make any assumptions that Basic AUTH and the
HttpSession know anything about each other.

The only thing that might break is the logic in your own app if you fail to
recognize the difference between authentication and the session.

Jake