tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Mitchell Ratisher <ratis...@best.com>
Subject Confusing Tomcat/Apache/Linux problem
Date Sat, 05 Jul 2003 22:04:42 GMT

I'm helping somebody with a Tomcat installation that is being quite
stubborn about working. He currently has Apache 1.3.20 acting as a proxy
for Tomcat 4.1.24 on a Linux server. I've set up a trivial web app for
Tomcat that consists of just a single html page. When I try to load the
page I get a "404 - resource not available" page from Tomcat. I can tell
from the logs that Tomcat is finding and loading my web app (its find the
app specific web.xml), and matching the context path for the request. But
then it can't find the html file, despite having found the web app
previously. So it can find the file mytest/WEB-INF/web.xml when the server
starts, but not mytest/index.html when a request comes in. The only things
I can come up with are that filesystem permissions aren't set right
(although I did chmod +rx for all the files in the web app), or that he
shouldn't be using Tomcat 4.x with Apache 1.x. Anyone else have any ideas?

Mitch Ratisher
Silicon Valley Resident