tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Justin Ruthenbeck <just...@nextengine.com>
Subject Re: tracking downloads
Date Thu, 10 Jul 2003 19:03:30 GMT

Why not write a filter that puts an entry in a database table after the
file has been successfully served?  This way you can log whatever you want
(who, what, when, size, ip address, duration, application-specific info,
etc).  The report could then be run whenever you need the information and
from any machine with access to the database (not necessarily a Java
reporting solution).

This seems logical, especially since you, "will not only need to record the
download but query the database (or in this case documentum) in order to
check for a specific attribute relevant to the report."

justin

At 11:38 AM 7/10/2003, you wrote:
>Angus Mezick wrote:
>| You mean, like use the items in the access log?  You could always
>| create a valve that watches for certain paths and updates a DB/file
>| entry or some such.
>| --Angus

Justin Ruthenbeck
Software Engineer, NextEngine Inc.