tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Justin Ruthenbeck <just...@nextengine.com>
Subject RE: How to synchronize based on session? (Prevent multiple submissions of forms)
Date Tue, 01 Jul 2003 22:25:13 GMT

If your code worked like this:

1:   if (session.getAttribute(LOCKED_ATTR) == LOCKED)
2:      return user a waiting page
3:   else
4:   {
5:      session.setAttribute(LOCKED_ATTR, LOCKED)
6:      work with submitted data
7:   }

then you're right -- it's possible for one thread to get interrupted after
evaluating line 1 to "false".  Another thread could come in, evaluate line
1 to "false" again and you'd end up with two threads doing the "work with
submitted data" code (a double submission).

I don't see any way around this save for synchronizing on a lock in your
servlet.  Don't worry about setting anything at Session creation time ...
make your logic do something like the following:

// Member variable
protected Object m_synchObj = new Object();

// In your service() method
boolean processData = false;
synchronized (m_synchObj)
{
    if (session.getAttribute(LOCKED_ATTR) != LOCKED)
    {
       session.setAttribute(LOCKED_ATTR, LOCKED);
       processData = true;
    }
}
if (processData)
{
    [Process the Data]
}
else
{
    [Send user to a "waiting" page]
}

True, you've now got a potential bottleneck in your servlet since every
thread for that servlet waits (a small amount of time) on a single
object.  Unless you've got *LOTS* of concurrent servlet threads, I don't
think this would affect you.  I haven't given due diligence to the thought
of synching on an Object in the session, but perhaps that's a better idea
-- seems like you could still have a race condition if two thread both
tried to create a session at the same time (perhaps Tomcat guarantees this
won't happen by synching in it's session creation code?).  You could
probably work something out with an HttpSessionListener.  Me?  I'd synch on
the servlet in favor of simplifying my code.

justin

Justin Ruthenbeck
Software Engineer, NextEngine Inc.
justinr - AT - nextengine DOT com