tomcat-users mailing list archives

From John Turner <tomcat-u...@johnturner.com>
Subject Re: Port 80, 8009 and 8080
Date Tue, 29 Jul 2003 16:51:58 GMT

We talked about this yesterday.

First, understand that port 8080 is OPTIONAL.  It is not required.

If you integrate Tomcat with Apache, all that is required is a single
connection on a single port.

That port can be ANY port you wish, it is up to you.  By convention, the
default for Apache connectors is 8009.

Tomcat has the ability to act as a web server WITHOUT Apache.  A default
installation is configured to do two things: be a webserver WITHOUT
Apache, and integrate with Apache.  Tomcat can do both at the same time.

By convention, web servers take requests on port 80.  However, many
people already have web servers running on machines where they install
Tomcat.  Thus, to avoid conflicts and make it easier to get started with
Tomcat, the default HTTP port in a Tomcat installation is 8080, to avoid
conflict with any existing web servers on port 80.

In production, if you run Apache + Tomcat, you DISABLE the HTTP
connector on port 8080.

In production, if you do not run Apache and run Tomcat alone as your
only webserver, you DISABLE the AJP connector on port 8009 and change
the HTTP connector on port 8080 to port 80, so that web users do not
have to type a port number on the URL.

In an Apache + Tomcat environment, the request comes in on port 80,
Apache determines whether the request should be sent to Tomcat.  If so,
then the Apache connector module determines which port it can use to
contact Tomcat (by default this is 8009).  Tomcat is contacted on that
port (Tomcat is already listening and waiting for connections on that
port).  Tomcat handles the request, and sends the result back to the
Apache connector on the same port.  Port 8080 is not involved in any
way, shape or form.

This is why you can use two different URLs to diagnose problems:

Problem with http://localhost/examples = problem with connector
Problem with http://localhost:8080/examples = problem with Tomcat

Both URLs can work, they are not mutually exclusive.

John