tomcat-users mailing list archives

From John Turner <tomcat-u...@johnturner.com>
Subject Re: [Fileupload](java newbie):cannot resolve symbol
Date Mon, 28 Jul 2003 19:15:54 GMT

For user-created classes, it pretty much comes down to three things:

Common - This class loader contains additional classes that are made
visible to both Tomcat internal classes and to all web applications.
Normally, application classes should NOT  be placed here. All unpacked
classes and resources in $CATALINA_HOME/common/classes, as well as
classes and resources in JAR files under the
$CATALINA_HOME/commons/endorsed and $CATALINA_HOME/common/lib
directories, are made visible through this class loader.

Shared - This class loader is the place to put classes and resources
that you wish to share across ALL  web applications (unless Tomcat
internal classes also need access, in which case you should put them in
the Common  class loader instead). All unpacked classes and resources in
$CATALINA_HOME/shared/classes, as well as classes and resources in JAR
files under $CATALINA_HOME/lib, are made visible through this class loader.

WebappX - A class loader is created for each web application that is
deployed in a single Tomcat 4 instance. All unpacked classes and
resources in the /WEB-INF/classes directory of your web application
archive, plus classes and resources in JAR files under the /WEB-INF/lib
directory of your web application archive, are made visible to the
containing web application, but to no others.

All web applications PLUS Tomcat internals: Common

All web applications BUT NOT Tomcat internals: Shared

A specific web application: WEB-INF/classes, WEB-INF/lib

John

john-paul delaney wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Jul 2003, John Turner wrote:
>

>>Build != Run.  Tomcat is not involved in the build process, only the run
>>process.  When your servlet is running, Tomcat ignores CLASSPATH so you
>>will need to make sure your JAR files are in the appropriate location
>>according to the ClassLoader HOWTO:
>>

>   Succinct and clear; well explained, thanks.
>

>>http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/class-loader-howto.html
>

>   rtfm I know, I know.  I confess to having read but the new terminology and pithy explanations
just wouldn't sink in.  I go back and try again.