tomcat-users mailing list archives

From John Turner <tomcat-u...@johnturner.com>
Subject Re: [Fileupload](java newbie):cannot resolve symbol
Date Mon, 28 Jul 2003 18:59:04 GMT

Build != Run.  Tomcat is not involved in the build process, only the run
process.  When your servlet is running, Tomcat ignores CLASSPATH so you
will need to make sure your JAR files are in the appropriate location
according to the ClassLoader HOWTO:

http://jakarta.apache.org/tomcat/tomcat-4.1-doc/class-loader-howto.html

John

john-paul delaney wrote:

> On Mon, 28 Jul 2003, john-paul delaney wrote:
>

>>The compile chokes at the first assignment:
>>boolean isMultipart = FileUpload.isMultipartContent(req);
>>
>>with a cannot resolve symbol on the FileUpload object.
>>
>>btw the context log shows the jar being loaded:
>>2003-07-28 17:05:43 ContextConfig[/mlist]:   Scanning JARs in /WEB-INF/lib subdirectory
>>2003-07-28 17:05:43 ContextConfig[/mlist]:    Adding path '/WEB-INF/lib/commons-fileupload-1.0.jar'
>>2003-07-28 17:05:43 ContextConfig[/mlist]:  Scanning JAR at resource path '/WEB-INF/lib/commons-fileupload-1.0.jar'
>

> It working now.  I added a reference to the jarfile in the $CLASSPATH environment variable
and then it compiled ok.  Nevertheless I seem to have read somewhere that tomcat ignored the
java classpath and relied on loading classes from it's various lib directories?