tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Tim Funk <funk...@joedog.org>
Subject Re: [Q] Is it safe to create threads in Tomcat web-apps?
Date Mon, 28 Jul 2003 13:53:58 GMT
I am in total agreement and I have used user created threads on my site. I
view user created threads as a "dangerous"  and usually un-needed thing.

Dangerous because of the side effects that aren't accounted for by more
junior programmers such as concurrency, shutting down the JVM (or lack of
being able to), more threads the system may handle, harder to track from a
monitoring point of view the activites occuring in the JVM for trouble shooting.

User threads are not always a bad thing. But they can easily be abused
because they seem like a cool-fun-novel coding solution.

-Tim