tomcat-users mailing list archives

From John Turner <tomcat-u...@johnturner.com>
Subject Re: [Q] Is it safe to create threads in Tomcat web-apps?
Date Mon, 28 Jul 2003 12:35:51 GMT

cron = scheduler

wget = command line HTTP/HTTPS client

The requirement for delivering everything in a WAR file is all nice and
dandy, but if you think about it, the requirement automatically breaks
the other requirement: scheduling.

If you cannot have a log file, and you cannot access a database, how
will you ever be able to determine elapsed time, which is the primary
requirement for a scheduler?  How can you determine status like when was
the last time it was run, etc?  How can you reset your clock if the app
is shutdown?  How do you know the app has been shutdown due to an
external event?

John