tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jon Wingfield <>
Subject Re: Session persistance after server restart: a bug?
Date Thu, 24 Jul 2003 09:31:50 GMT
Not a bug. Standard behaviour. Chack out the Manager element in the

If you haven't got a Manager explicitly added in the server.xml a
default is used (stores serialized sessions in a file SESSIONS.ser under
the work directory. If you don't fancy changing the server.xml you can
delete all SESSIONS.ser under work before you start tomcat)

Aurele Venet wrote:
> Hello,
> I am having a strange effect with my tomcat server.  My web app sends a
> session cookie (JSESSIONID) to the browser for session tracking.  This
> keeps a boolean flag to say wether or not a user is logged in.  I find
> that when I stop and restart the server, the cookie is sent back from
> the browser to the server, and the session id is recognised as a a valid
> ongoing session.  I then find that the boolean flag is true and I am not
> presented with the login form.  Has anyone had a similar experience?
> At first I thought it must be due to some error in my code, however, i
> have monitored the http exchanges as well as  before any session
> variable settings (ie when the first servlet is accessed (2 simple html
> static files are accessed before where frames are set, and the servlet
> is invoked) I print the values that are currently in the session, and I
> find that indeed the session id given to the new session is exactly the
> same as the previous one, recorded in the cookie, and that the boolean
> flag is already set!
> Any ideas why this is?
> My env:
> tomcat: 4.1.24 (also tested on 4.0.3 with same results)
> browser: mozilla 1.4
> OS: Sun Solaris 2.8
> thanks
> vrta