tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Tim Funk <>
Subject Re: Creating a custom realm [I don't know how]
Date Wed, 23 Jul 2003 19:18:29 GMT
Realm implementations need to be placed into server/lib (or server/classes)

It can't be in WEB-INF because of classloader security.

It can't be in common/lib because it the realm needs stuff in server/lib

But if you make privledged=true (bad idea usually) - you might be able to
keep your Realm in WEB-INF

Hung Tang wrote:
> Hi there,
> How do I create my own custom realm and plug it into
> Tomcat for my web application?  I created CustomRealm
> that implements Realm.  But when I added a <realm>
> element in my context.xml and loaded up my
> application, it complained that CustomRealm could not
> be found (ClassNotFoundException).
> My CustomRealm class is in my <app>/WEB-INF/classes
> directory so I'm sure (as far as my application is
> concerned) that the class is in the proper classpath.
> I also placed the file in tomcat.home/common/lib but
> the error still persists.
> Any help would be appreciated.
> By the way, I'm using Tomcat 4.1.24

To unsubscribe, e-mail: