tomcat-users mailing list archives

From John Turner <tomcat-u...@johnturner.com>
Subject Re: Simple configuration seems to work ...
Date Wed, 23 Jul 2003 15:03:03 GMT

If you have Apache, there's no need to use 8080 at all, and you can even
disable that connector in server.xml.

To do so, you would use a connector (mod_jk or mod_jk2).  This gets
loaded by Apache, and then you map various request URIs to be sent to
Tomcat, such as "/*.jsp" and "/servlet/*".  Then Apache serves your
static content (GIF, HTML, JPEG), and Tomcat serves JSP and servlet.

Or, you can just run Tomcat alone on port 80.  Tomcat is perfectly
capable of serving HTML, GIF, and the like without needing Apache at all.

So, right now you are using a little bit of both with no integration.
This is do-able, but probably not optimal.  You can choose to use Apache
+ Tomcat with a connector (100% integration), or you can just use Tomcat
alone (0% integration and no additional overhead from Apache).  There
are pros and cons to either solution, use what works best for you and
fits your environment.