tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Derek Chen-Becker <dbec...@cpicorp.com>
Subject Re: WAR That Runs Fine Under Tomcat 4.1.24 Fails Under 4.0.6 - Invalid DataSource
Date Wed, 23 Jul 2003 14:20:04 GMT
Funny, I had the opposite problem (worked under 4.0.6, died horribly
under 4.1.24). Can you send a stack trace? I can't remember off the top
of my head, but I think there's a way to inspect the JNDI tree under Tomcat.

Derek

Michael Duffy wrote:
> I've written a Web app that works fine under Tomcat
> 4.1.24.  It uses an app-specific Context to set up a
> JNDI data source that works fine.  It uses the
> org.apache.commons.dbcp.BasicDataSourceFactory and the
> Oracle 9.2 JDBC type IV thin driver.  The Oracle JDBC
> driver JAR is in TOMCAT_HOME/common/lib; all other
> JARs are in the WEB-INF/lib directory inside the
> deployed WAR.
>
> A vendor has shipped s'ware to me that has been tested
> under Tomcat 4.0.6.  The vendor won't guarantee proper
> operation under 4.1.24, because it hasn't been tested
> there.
>
> I downloaded 4.0.6, installed it on my machine, put my
> app WAR in TOMCAT_HOME/webapps, and put the <Context>
> into the server.xml.  The Oracle JDBC JARs are in
> TOMCAT_HOME/common/lib.  I checked the resources page
> to make sure that my Context from 4.1.24 was okay for
> 4.0.6.  There were no errors in the log file when I
> started up the app.  The XML parser accepted the
> server.xml without a problem.  I got the app log file
> that I asked for, and I can see debug info from my
> front controller servlet being written to it.
>
> However, as soon as it tries to access the database I
> get a "DataSource invalid - no suitable driver" error.
>
> Everything that I gave to 4.0.6 works perfectly under
> 4.1.24.  What common error causes this?  I scanned the
> Archive link from the mailing list page, but nothing
> suitable appeared.  Thanks - MOD

Derek Chen-Becker
Senior Network Engineer
CPI Corp, Inc.
1706 Washington Ave
St. Louis, MO 63103
Phone: 314-231-1575 x6014
Fax:   314-613-6724
dbecker@cpicorp.com
PGP Key available from public key servers
Fingerprint: 1C34 D81E D8A0 641D 6C8C  E952 3B15 693F 9184 BC58