tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Jeff Howard <je...@email.unc.edu>
Subject Simple configuration seems to work ...
Date Wed, 23 Jul 2003 14:13:58 GMT
Hi,

I just finished setting up Red Hat 9, JDK 1.4, Apache 2.0.40 and Tomcat 4.1
with help from folks on the list. After all is said and done, it wasn't
too bad.

Here's a quick summary of what I did. Maybe this will help others and at
the same time if there's something wrong or missing maybe someone can point
that out as well.

- Installed Red Hat 9
- Installed JDK 1.4
- Installed Apache 2.0.40
- Installed Tomcat binary. (Had trouble geting rpm to work)
    - Copied the Tomcat "examples" directory to a new (parallel)
directory called "myapp"
    - Edited the server.xml file and added a context for "myapp"
    - Deposited my existing servlets in
/var/tomcat/webapps/myapp/WEB-INF/classes
       where "tomcat" is a link to my tomcat install
    - Restarted tomcat
    - Edited my html references to servlets to be http://<ip
address>:8080/myapp/servlet/<servlet name>

This appears to work. I didn't edit any of the web.xml files or install
any connector(s)
to Apache. I'm a novice at this so perhaps some of this needs to be done
but the webpages
execute the servlets and the results are accurate. Does anyone have any
comments, suggestions?

Thanks very much to everyone that provided help along the way.

Jeff