tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Greg Zoller <g...@codaware.com>
Subject Jasper, Java, and X11 Dependencies
Date Sat, 19 Jul 2003 21:40:42 GMT
Hello,

I'm having a problem where I log into a server w/telnet, and run JBoss
(w/embedded tomcat).

The server fails in jasper with X11 auth problem.

I have a workaround: use ssh -X to handle X.  If I use ssh -X instead of
telnet, everything works fine.  But because I can't explain why there is
any X11 dependency for our server-side app, my boss deems this fix a
"hack", and requires me to find a "real solution".

The error is:

Can't connect to X11 window server ...

Why is there any X11 dependency on a server-side app?  We have no
servlets or anything like that.  We are using apache struts.

Precisely:

My login page comes up (a JSP page)
This page forwards to my first app page, which causes the X11 error.
Figuring maybe something on this page was too complex (graphical, or
whatever), I replaced it with another JSP page containing "Hello world"
and nothing else.  No dice... same X11 problem.

I've tried building a new Linux server w/o any X11 installed on the box
at all.  This time I get even stranger errors:

00:12:49,053 ERROR [Engine] ApplicationDispatcher[/codatest]
Servlet.service() for servlet jsp threw exception
org.apache.jasper.JasperException:
/opt/java/jre/lib/i386/libfontmanager.so: libstdc++-libc6.1-1.so.2:
         at
org.apache.jasper.servlet.JspServletWrapper.service(JspServletWrapper.java:254)
[clip]

When I created a symlink to fix this I got my old X11 error back
again!

It seems something is still trying to use graphics.

Is there a way to handle this situation or is using ssh -X my only option?

Any explanation of this situation would be most appreciated.

Thanks!
Greg