tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Zach Gatu <zkga...@netscape.net>
Subject JSP Precompilation / JSPC / JSP servlet mapping
Date Fri, 18 Jul 2003 16:24:35 GMT
Hi,

I've set my Tomcat 4.1.24 installation to production mode, i.e. I've set
'development' to false, 'reloading' to true and 'fork' to true in
CATALINA_HOME/conf/web.xml.

I have some JSPs that are modified from time to time.  My questions are:

1a. Why is the package name for java files generated from a JSP
compilation different when using JSPC and when you let Jasper compile
the JSP when you access it (especially for JSP in directories in a context)?

1b. Can you use JSPC to precompile JSPs into the work directory without
having to wait till they are accessed or using something like UNIX's
wget to 'touch' the file and force a compilation?

2. How exactly does Jasper precompile JSPs into the work directory?  Can
one write an Ant build file to precompile JSPs in a context to the work
dir the same way Jasper does?

3. If you've precompiled your JSPs and mapped them in web.xml would
Jasper precompile them and reload them if they are subsequently modified?

4. What are the advantages of mapping JSPs in web.xml as opposed to
having Jasper compile them in the work directory?

Zach.