tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Tim Funk <funk...@joedog.org>
Subject Re: Redirect to home page on logon
Date Thu, 17 Jul 2003 19:49:24 GMT
I recommend posting to the struts list and hope they don't respond by saying
"please post to the tomcat list"

Also telnet is nice for debugging requests too so you can see the headers
begin returned in case some wacky redirect logic is being invoked that you
might not be detecting.

-Tim

Tarek M. Nabil wrote:
> Tim, the Filter thing is a great idea, and it worked just fine. Thanks a million.
>
> Now, I have another problem that I just can't figure out. After the session expires and
the user makes a request, he's sent to the login page by Tomcat. After he logs in, he's still
sent to the error page. Of course the filter intercepts this and redirects to the home page.

> I still can't figure out, though, why the request is sent to the error page. It really
doesn't make sense.

> I have my error pages configured as follows:
>
>     <!-- error pages -->
>     <error-page>
>       <error-code>500</error-code>
>       <location>/error.do</location>
>     </error-page>
>     <error-page>
>       <error-code>404</error-code>
>       <location>/error.do</location>
>     </error-page>
>     <error-page>
>       <exception-type>java.lang.Exception</exception-type>
>       <location>/error.do</location>
>     </error-page>
>
> In error.do I do some logging, then forward to error.jsp. What's really driving me crazy,
is that in the case I was just describing, the request is sent directly to error.jsp and it
doesn't even go to error.do. I tried adding some debugging info in error.jsp to see what error
is happening, but, although the "isErrorPage" is set to true, there's no exception object.

> I went into the Tomcat server.xml and raised the debug level to 4 for both the host and
the engine, and still the Tomcat logs does not mention anything about the error that causes
the forwarding to error.jsp. I even checked stdout and stderr, nothing.

> What I can't understand is how the container knows about error.jsp, it's not mentioned
anywhere in my web.xml. The only place it's mentioned in is in the struts-config.xml file.
I even changed it's name to something else, thinking that maybe error.jsp is some default
value or something like index.jsp, but it didn't help.

> Please, someone help me out here.

session times out, he's asked to re-login on his next request. For this, I'm using J2EE security;
I'm not doing it myself.
>>After the user is finished with the re-login, he's supposed to complete his request,
but the fact that the beans are not in the session anymore produces an error.
>>Unfortunately, those beans are specific to the last request the user made, so I cannot
re-initialize them in a listener for session creation.

>>I was wondering if there's a way to configure security so that after the user logs
in he's redirected to a certain page instead of being able to continue his last request.

>>I know this can be done manually, but I would have to do it in every web component
I have which is really tiresome. Any quick solutions?