tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Tim Funk <funk...@joedog.org>
Subject Re: JSP 2.0 in Tomcat 5.0.4
Date Thu, 17 Jul 2003 13:27:03 GMT
EL is integral to the jsp2 spec. Not jstl. EL is based off of jstl.

 From a quick glance at the spec, I see in Section 4:

"References to JSTL are informational - this library is not required by the
JSP 2.0 specification."

If you search for JSTL in the spec, its seems clear that if you want JSTL:
you still need the classes and taglib declarations. The difference with JSP2
is you can now do this syntax without needing JSTL:

Hello ${someVariable}  (woohoo, no c:out needed!)

I think you can also do this now too .. <mytag myattr="${elExpression}"/>

But to do a loop (c:foreach) - you still need JSTL. You'll even see the
taglib declarations for the JSTL core taglib in the examples in the spec.

-Tim