tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Anthony Cunningham <>
Subject Re: Someody Help Me out!!!!
Date Mon, 07 Jul 2003 12:26:25 GMT
>  This one is with jakarta-tomcat-4.0.6 and
> jakarta-tomcat-4.1.18
> In this not even the server starts that is i can t
> even get the test page run!!!!!
> Whenver i run the start.bat,the server tries to run
> but then i throws some exception and then the DOS
> window closes on its own and i cant see the exception
> as well.

I've never used Tomcat 3x but in Tomcat 4 to see the error that happened try opening a command
prompt and
changing to the tomcat/bin directory.  Then type :
catalina run

if the error appears and its something like :
Catalina.start: LifecycleException: Address in use: JVM_Bind
LifecycleException: Address in use: JVM_Bind
        at org.apache.catalina.connector.http.HttpConnector.initialize(
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardService.initialize(
        at org.apache.catalina.core.StandardServer.initialize(
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(
----- Root Cause ----- Address in use: JVM_Bind
        at Method)

then one of the other tomcats or another program is using the same port as Tomcat 4.

Please try this and you may see the error