tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Scott Burns" <>
Subject RE: Tomcat load not distributed equally by Apache
Date Tue, 15 Jul 2003 18:35:20 GMT
Thanks very much Simon. :)  We will take a look at this.

Best Regards,

-----Original Message-----
From: Simon Pabst []
Sent: Tuesday, July 15, 2003 1:25 PM
To: Tomcat Users List
Subject: Re: Tomcat load not distributed equally by Apache

We had the same problem, see this thread

Unless mod_jk Developers fix this, the only possible solution seems to
build and use Apache 2 with Multithreading support (i used the worker
perchild should work too, see
) then build mod_jk1/2 again with the new apxs.

I used for my Apache2/mod_jk2/mod_ssl:
./configure --prefix=/path/to/apache2 --with-mpm=worker --enable-ssl
--enable-so --enable-rewrite --enable-proxy

./configure --with-apxs2=/path/to/apache2/bin/apxs [
--with-java-home=/path/to/java --with-jni ]

At 13:09 15.07.2003 -0400, you wrote:
>We have Apache 2 load balancing two tomcat 4.1.x workers. There are two

>primary applications running under tomcat. One app has long session
>times - eg the user logs-in in the morning and doesn't end their
>session until evening. The other app has short sessions - a connection
>is made, some work is performed, and they get out in under 3 minutes.
>Mod_jk is providing the load balancing via weighted round-robin. Both
>workers are equally weighted. In theory, each worker should have the
>same load distribution. (Truly in theory, each worker gets an
>equivalent number of sessions. Right? Our apps have sessions with a
>disproportionate number of transactions per session.)
>We see worker1 averaging higher CPU usage. I can justify this behavior
>because of session affinity being enabled -- and the huge difference in

>transactions per session in the applications.
>Two questions.
>(1) Am I missing something or are our assumptions wrong?
>(2) How could we distribute load to the tomcat workers via tomcat CPU
>usage instead of round-robin? Is there is a different Apache module
>that can load balance via tomcat CPU usage?
>Any help, guidance, direction you can provide would be greatly

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail:

To unsubscribe, e-mail:
For additional commands, e-mail: