tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Nguyen Anh Tuan <nguyenanht...@yahoo.com>
Subject Re: performance of serving static data? apache or tomcat
Date Fri, 25 Jul 2003 14:47:54 GMT
Hi, John,
Lets say you have one static HTML page with one image
in it. You can serve it with Apache stand alone (or
any stand alone Web server). So howmany requests are
there ?

Do you count :
HTML : 1 request
Image : 1 request
1+1=2 requests

The answer is : You just request for a page, and
whatever in it will be sent back along with the page.
Please look into the RFC document of HTTP and HTTPS
protocol to see how a request is handled.

With a combination of Apache/Tomcat: The fact is :
Every HTTP/HTTPS request is sent to Apache Webserver.
If there is a request to JSP/Servlet, it will be
rerouted from Apache to Tomcat (this is done on the
server, nothing concerned to browser), then when the
HTML page is created from JSP/Servlet in Tomcat, it is
sent back to Apache, then Apache sends the HTML page
back to the browser.

So the user sees only a scenario like this:
Request sent to Apache.
Whatever request it is, receive back a HTML page.

Thus, the amount of requests for one JSP/Servlet with
image sent to Apache/Tomcat = Exactly the amount of
requests for one static HTML page with images sent to
a stand alone Apache (or whatever stand alone
Webserver).

Of course, time will be needed to send requests from
Apache to Tomcat and for Tomcat to generate HTML from
JSP/Servlet and send it back to Apache. However, this
is done on the server and has nothing to do with
browser.

It depends on how you organize the site.
If the site contains mix data (many static HTML pages
and JSP/Servlet), you should use a combination
Apache/Tomcat, because Apache handles static HTML
pages must faster than Tomcat does.

However, if you have only JSP/Servlet, Tomcat stand
alone is fine, because you have no use of Apache,
except rerouting JSP/Servlet to Tomcat. It is a waste
of time, because you can send JSP/Servlet requests
directly to Tomcat if you use Tomcat stand alone.