tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Larry Griffith <>
Subject Problems compiling tomcat
Date Mon, 21 Jul 2003 14:29:42 GMT
I'm new to this list, so please pardon any obvious idiocies.

When I compile Tomcat I'm getting syntax errors.  My setup:

Server: SUN Enterprise 250 running Solaris 9
uname -a output: SunOS africa 5.9 Generic sun4u sparc SUNW,Ultra-250
Java version: 1.4.2 (SUN version of javac)
Ant version: 1.5.3

The messages I receive:

    [javac] Compiling 363 source files to /export/home/larry/projects/jakarta-t
    [javac] This version of java does not support the classic compiler;
upgrading to modern
    [javac] /export/home/larry/projects/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.24-src/catalina/src/
share/org/apache/catalina/servlets/HTML cannot resolve symbol
    [javac] symbol  : method setRepositoryPath (java.lang.String)
    [javac] location: class org.apache.commons.fileupload.FileUpload
    [javac]         upload.setRepositoryPath(tempdir.getCanonicalPath());
    [javac]               ^
    [javac] /export/home/larry/projects/jakarta-tomcat-4.1.24-src/catalina/src/
share/org/apache/catalina/servlets/HTML write( in org.apache.commons.fileupload.F
ileItem cannot be applied to (java.lang
    [javac]                 warUpload.write(file.getCanonicalPath());
    [javac]                          ^
    [javac] Note: Some input files use or override a deprecated API.
    [javac] Note: Recompile with -deprecation for details.
    [javac] 2 errors

    A complete log of my installation is available upon request (it's .5MB,
which is why I'm not appending it here).

Larry Griffith                       Dept. of Computer & Info Science	             Westfield State College
(413) 572-5294                       Westfield, MA 01086 USA
PGP public key available at:

View raw message