tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Ben Souther <bsout...@fwdco.com>
Subject Re: Environment variables, are they really needed??
Date Thu, 17 Jul 2003 19:19:24 GMT
In the case of Tomcat (or any Java App), the config files can't be read until
the app is up and running. Since JAVA_HOME is used to find the JVM, it makes
perfect sense to use an evironment variable.  Otherwise, you'd need one
config file for the app and another for the startup scripts.

On Thursday 17 July 2003 01:58 pm, Shapira, Yoav wrote:
> Howdy,
> This is a basic unix question, not specific to tomcat.  Without going
> into technical details, I would say environment variables are one way to
> define these properties.  There are other ways, e.g. in your
> configuration files.
>
> Yoav Shapira
> Millennium ChemInformatics

Ben Souther
F.W. Davison & Company, Inc.

REGISTER NOW FOR THE SCORPEO USER CONFERENCE!
September 18-19, 2003 in Boston/Brookline, MA
Additional Training Sessions held September 17, 2003
More info >> http://www.fwdco.com/services/Uconf03/default.shtm