tomcat-users mailing list archives

From Maurice Coyle - Sun Microsystems Ireland <M.Co...@Sun.COM>
Subject Re: variable out may not have been initialised
Date Tue, 08 Jul 2003 17:50:05 GMT
Yes, i know this, thanks.

The thing is that the actual files themselves aren't overly complex (i should
have been more clear on that), there's just a lot going on with includes etc.
it's not a code bug as such, since the files will compile if i load them first.
so for instance, i might have 6 files labelled 1-6 and if i load them in the
following sequence (just by clicking on links): 1-2-3-4-5-6, somewhere between 4
and 6 i will get the error, with the errors log complaining about variables not
being initialised.  then if i clear the cache, restart the server and reopen my
browser and load the pages in the following sequence: 4-5-6-1-2-3, somewhere
between 1 and 3 the error will occur.

just to re-emphasise, the variables that supposedly aren't initialised are most
definitely assigned a value (even if it's only null) in the code.  the compiler
just seems to give up for some reason.

that suggests to me that it's not to do with my code but rather with the load
the compiler can take.  er, actually that means it has everything to do with my
code, but i guess my question is whether anyone has encountered this kind of
behaviour before and if so, is there a fix?

thanks,
maurice

-----------------------------------------------|

-----------------------------------------------|

> i forgot to say, i found a thread in a forum online about this, the guys there
> seemed to think it was a page size problem, possibly related to how many tags
> there are on a page.  just inc ase this sheds any more light on it.

> > Date: Mon, 7 Jul 2003 15:04:22 +0100 (BST)
> > From: Maurice Coyle - Sun Microsystems Ireland <M.Coyle@sun.com>
> > Subject: variable out may not have been initialised
> > To: tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org
> >
> > hi,
> > if i have a complex jsp with a lot of information on it, i get a whole ream
of

> > errors such as that in the subject of this message, telling me that
variables
> in
> > the jsp that quite clearly have been (when you look at the source)
initialised