tomcat-users mailing list archives

From David Blevins <dblev...@visi.com>
Subject Re: TOMCAT with EJB??
Date Tue, 08 Jul 2003 07:57:25 GMT
On Mon, Jul 07, 2003 at 10:25:26PM -0700, vipul viz wrote:
> HI all
> I am using Tomcat 4. as an application server but it
> doesn't support EJB
> could any one tell me which is the best EJB Server
> available in the category of Open cource.
> i have found 2-3 like Jboss,OpenEJB , Jonas.
> but not sure which one to use for some commercial
> development....

There is a demo of Tomcat/OpenEJB running here if you wanted to poke around in it.  Most people
really like the JNDI browser and the Object invoker, both can save you a ton of time.

   http://www.openejb.info:8080

There are a couple of features I think are really nice for Tomcat/servlet people.  You can
use any Tomcat 4.x, 5.x (never tried 3.x) version you want, we don't bundle or embed Tomcat.
 You don't have to code explicit local interfaces just to get fast performance in a local
setup, you can just use regular remote interfaces and just tell OpenEJB to shut-off the marshalling
of parameters and return values.  This last one is really nice as it will allow you to change
your mind and run your app with the Servlets and EJBs in different machines without any code
changes at all.  You get the benefits of local performance without having to commit to in
in code.

-David