tomcat-users mailing list archives

From <je...@email.unc.edu>
Subject Can't get Tomcat 4.X to startup on RH 9
Date Thu, 17 Jul 2003 17:20:02 GMT
Hi,

I'm in a new position and trying to put together a replacement
webserver that can run an existing set of servlets. The servlets
were previously executed with JServ but I want to switch to Tomcat.
My environment is Red Hat Linux 9, Apache 2.0.40, JDBC classes12.zip
jdk 1.2.2 and Tomcat 4.1.24.  I installed Tomcat with the rpm
tomcat4-4.1.24-full.2jpp.

I'm trying to start Tomcat as root (for testing) and I've set the
following environment variables in the root profile:

JAVA_HOME=/usr/local/java
CATALINA_HOME=/var/tomcat4
CLASSPATH=$CLASSPATH:/var/tomcat4/common/lib/servlet.jar:/usr/local/java/classes
/classes12.zip

export USERNAME BASH_ENV PATH JAVA_HOME CATALINA_HOME CLASSPATH

When I start Tomcat via "/etc/rc.d/init.d/tomacat4 start"
it fails and I get the text below in the Catalina log file.
I'm not an experienced java programmerand any help would be greatly
appreciated!

Jeff H.
jeffh@email.unc.edu

catalina log file:

java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError:
org/apache/commons/beanutils/BeanUtils (Unsupported major.minor version
47.0)
        at
java.security.SecureClassLoader.defineClass(SecureClassLoader.java:103)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.defineClass(URLClassLoader.java:242)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.access$1(URLClassLoader.java:210)
        at java.net.URLClassLoader.findClass(URLClassLoader.java:185)
        at
org.apache.catalina.loader.StandardClassLoader.findClass(Unknown Source)
        at
org.apache.catalina.loader.StandardClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
        at
org.apache.catalina.loader.StandardClassLoader.loadClass(Unknown Source)
        at java.lang.ClassLoader.loadClassInternal(ClassLoader.java:308)
        at
org.apache.commons.digester.SetPropertiesRule.begin(SetPropertiesRule.java:255)
        at org.apache.commons.digester.Rule.begin(Rule.java:200)
        at
org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.startElement(Digester.java:1268)
        at
org.apache.xerces.parsers.AbstractSAXParser.startElement(Unknown Source)
        at
org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLNamespaceBinder.startElement(Unknown Source)
        at
org.apache.xerces.impl.dtd.XMLDTDValidator.startElement(Unknown Source)
        at
org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentFragmentScannerImpl.scanStartElement(Unknown
Source)
        at
org.apache.xerces.impl.XMLDocumentScannerImpl$ContentDispatcher.scanRootElementHook(Unknown
Source)
        at
Source)
        at
Source)
        at org.apache.xerces.parsers.DTDConfiguration.parse(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.xerces.parsers.DTDConfiguration.parse(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.commons.digester.Digester.parse(Digester.java:1543)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.start(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.execute(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Catalina.process(Unknown Source)
        at org.apache.catalina.startup.Bootstrap.main(Unknown Source)
[ERROR] Digester - -Begin event threw error
<java.lang.UnsupportedClassVersionError:
org/apache/commons/beanutils/BeanUtils (Unsupported major.minor version
47.0)>
Exception during startup processing
java.lang.reflect.InvocationTargetException: