tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Mike Curwen" <gb_...@gb-im.com>
Subject RE: JDBCRealm - Session not timing out
Date Thu, 10 Jul 2003 17:13:24 GMT
I had thought (and replied so in a separate thread) that BASIC auth
would also time out.  But even if it doesn't...  How could J2EE work, if
the following didn't happen:

1. User gets authenticated with BASIC AUTH
2. User lets their session timeout
3. User requests a protected page.
4. container asks for credentials
5. browser sends them
6. container says: "those credentials are for an expired session, I'm
re-auth'ing you"
7. you get the OS-level prompt to login again.

If this *doesn't* happen, then isn't using BASIC AUTH to protect your
resources bound to break your app at some point?  Ex: shopping cart
beans in the session (that is no longer there, even though you are still
'authenticated').

Hopefully a Tomcat commiter will help us out.

I'd give this all a try myself, but it's lunchtime!  ;)