tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Juan Nin" <ju...@juanin.com>
Subject Environment variables, are they really needed??
Date Thu, 17 Jul 2003 17:48:23 GMT
Maybe dumb question...

All the tutorials, etc. I've seen talk about defining CATALINA_HOME, and
JAVA_HOME as environment variables (and sometimes also CLASSPATH)

I didn't define anything as environment variables, mine are just defined in
workers.properties and tomcat4.conf

In workers.properties, among other things I have:

workers.tomcat_home=/var/tomcat4
workers.java_home=/usr/java/j2sdk1.4.1_03
worker.inprocess.class_path=/var/tomcat4/common/lib/servlet.jar

and in tomcat4.conf I have:

JAVA_HOME="/usr/java/j2sdk1.4.1_03"
CATALINA_HOME="/var/tomcat4"

and things work fine without environment variables
are they just two ways of doing it, or I may have something wrong?

Thanks again,

Juan