tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Rhino" <rhi...@sympatico.ca>
Subject Re: Weird Problems installing servlets in Tomcat
Date Tue, 22 Jul 2003 21:04:10 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shapira@mpi.com>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 22, 2003 3:44 PM
Subject: RE: Weird Problems installing servlets in Tomcat

Howdy,

>Combining your remarks with John's and now Andrews, I'm satisfied that
all
>really need to do to get everything working is put
>commons-fileupload-beta-1.0.jar in the /common/lib and put the
>commons-fileupload-1.0.jar in the /shared-lib and everything should
work
>correctly again.

| That's suboptimal.  Put the beta fileupload back where it was, and put
| the one you need in WEB-INF/lib.

It now turns out that the jar that needs to be put back in /common/lib is
*not* commons-fileupload-beta-1.0.jar; it is commons-fileupload.jar. The
Linux administrator is busy digging it out of the RPM and putting it back in
the /common/lib. I'm optimistic that this will finally solve the problem.
That is the file that I remember being there originally but when Andrew
suggested the beta, I just assumed I was having a minor memory failure about
the name and went with the beta; it didn't work though.

>1. Where do I find a binary of the commons-fileupload-beta-1.0.jar? I
can

Download and reinstall tomcat 4.1.24.  Or download just fileupload from:
http://jakarta.apache.org/commons/fileupload/index.html

>find the source for it but I don't have a C compiler so I need a
binary.

| It's a java program, not C.  You have a java compiler.  See above URL.

Now I know how Homer Simpson feels when he has one of those "Doh" moments!
For some reason, I've assumed that all the Tomcat code was written in C and
I never gave it another second's thought. What a moron I am - OF COURSE the
Tomcat code is written in Java! All I can do is blame it on too many years
playing with computers; almost everything else seems to be written in C so I
just assumed Tomcat was too. Arggh.

>2. Why is the Tomcat on my Windows box working? I've deleted the beta
jar
>from /common/lib and everything still works fine there. I don't have
>another
>copy of either the beta or the 1.0 jar anywhere else in that copy of
>Tomcat.
>Shouldn't Tomcat on the Windows box be failing the same way? Mind you,
>don't import WAR files on the Window box; Eclipse and Sysdeo take care
of
>everything for me.

| That's a problem with modern IDEs.  They take care of everything for
| you, but when it comes time to deploy/test without the IDEs, you're
| never quite sure where the right libraries are.  (By you I mean a
| generic you, not Rhino specifically)

How right you are! And most of the time I *like* the fact that I don't have
to deal with the minutae. But today is one of those days that it just bites
you in the ass.

Tell me, does this make sense to you? Last night, when I was first trying to
deploy the new version of my servlet, I used the Tomcat Project/Export to
War file option in Eclipse to refresh my War file before attempting to
install it on the Linux server. When things started misbehaving, I had a
look at the War file and noticed that it was putting the beta 1.0 version of
commons-fileupload in the jar. I thought that was messing me up so I
searched both Eclipse and my hard drive and renamed or deleted every copy of
the beta jar, every single one. When I renamed the jar, I added a .old to
the end of the name, thus "breaking" the file association. I thought that
would surely keep any program from mistaking it for a real jar file. Yet
despite that, each time I did an export to my War file, I kept getting the
beta version of the file upload in the War file despite the fact that no
file named commons-fileupload-beta-1.0.jar was anywhere on my computer. I
was baffled about how Sysdeo conjured up a file that didn't exist and put it
in my War file. Does that many any sense to you? I just noticed that I still
have one of the renamed files in my /server/lib directory on the Windows
box; it is called commons-fileupload-1.0-beta1.jar.old: is it possible that
Sysdeo was somehow grabbing that file and ignoring the ".old" suffix in
order to put it in my War file? I wouldn't have thought that would be
possible but I'm at a loss to think of any other explanation.

I don't really want to keep flogging this dying horse but understanding this
issue might give me some useful insights in understanding Tomcat in general,
which could be handy in further problem solving....

Rhino