tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Rhino" <rhi...@sympatico.ca>
Subject [FileUpload]
Date Thu, 24 Jul 2003 21:51:34 GMT
Can anyone tells me how to modify my form to ensure that the contents of an <input type="file">
control are still present when I return to the form?

My file upload servlet is working pretty well now except for one thing. I am doing edits on
each of the files which are to be uploaded, including a check to see if the file is larger
than an individual size threshold I have set. (This is something I've created myself because
I want an individual size limit, not the aggregate limit provided by the Commons FileUpload
team.) When an individual file size is too large, I create a message and display it, then
invite my user to press the back button on their browser to go back to the form to modify
the form - either replace the name of the overly large file with a smaller one or blank it
out altogether.

Everything works fine except that when the user gets back to the form, all of the fields that
are <input type=file> are blank. The <input type=text> fields retain their original
values. I would like the <input type=file> controls to also contain their original value.
What do I need to do to make that happen?

I've never seen this "blanking" behaviour in other forms but this is the first time I've written
a servlet containing an <input type=file> control....

I am running Tomcat 4.1.24. My browser is IE 6.0.2800.xpsp2.030422-1633. My OS is Windows
XP Pro with all critical service applied.

Rhino
---
rhino1 AT sympatico DOT ca
"If you want the best seat in the house, you'll have to move the cat."