tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "James Michelich" <j...@duke.edu>
Subject Executing external programs
Date Tue, 01 Jul 2003 20:36:38 GMT
If anyone could help me with this problem I'd be grateful.

Here's some of my system info, etc.:

Windows XP Pro
IIS 5.1
Tomcat 4.1.24

I'm also running Tomcat as a service via JavaService.

The problem is this - my web application requires the use of external programs, which I execute
by calling something like

Process p = Runtime.getRuntime().exec(executablePath);

This works fine while I'm still logged on to my machine, but when no one is logged in, the
external program doesn't seem to be executing.  While logged off, I know the Tomcat service
is still running because I can still access my web application with other machines; however,
when I try to use the part of the application that executes an external program, I get no
response and the server times out.

Anyone have any ideas or solutions?

Thanks in advance for the help,

James