tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Stuart MacPherson" <apr...@dsl.pipex.com>
Subject RE: Apache Linux question
Date Tue, 29 Jul 2003 08:23:23 GMT
I don't know a huge amount about Linux (so why am I replying?! ;o)) but I
have been messing with Slackware, which I have found is so configurable (NOT
the best distro to start out on, with hindsight!) that you can reduce the
footprint right down... well here are the min req's:

386 processor
16MB RAM
50 megabytes of hard disk space
3.5" floppy drive

I don't know if this makes it best for your area, but its just for your
information really

Regards
stu

-----Original Message-----
From: Michael Hyman [mailto:mhyman@yahoo.com]
Sent: 25 July 2003 22:36
To: users@httpd.apache.org; tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org;
apache-server@yahoogroups.com
Cc: Michael Hyman
Subject: Apache Linux question

I am just starting to use Linux to run our web sites and I am currently
using Red Hat 8.

I am wondering if that is the best distro for the purpose. Is there a
smaller, less desktop-based and more server-only based distro that is
streamlined for web services. I will do using the following only on the
server:

1. Perl
2. Mod_perl
3. Apache 1.3.x
4. Oracle Client for Oracle 9
5. Java JRE 1.4 for a small middleware program

Thanks in advance for the help..I appreciate it.

Regards...Michael