tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Rhino" <rhi...@sympatico.ca>
Subject Re: Weird Problems installing servlets in Tomcat
Date Tue, 22 Jul 2003 14:20:01 GMT

----- Original Message -----
From: "Shapira, Yoav" <Yoav.Shapira@mpi.com>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 22, 2003 9:31 AM
Subject: RE: Weird Problems installing servlets in Tomcat

Howdy,

>I took a peek inside the commons-fileupload-1.0.jar and got this, which
>looks just fine to me:
>jar tvf commons-fileupload-1.0.jar | more
> 0 Wed Jun 25 23:12:04 EDT 2003 META-INF/
> 420 Wed Jun 25 23:12:04 EDT 2003 META-INF/MANIFEST.MF
> 0 Wed Jun 25 23:11:58 EDT 2003 org/
<snip>

| I'm curious how you can tell which methods are in these classes (and which
aren't, thereby causing | the NoMethod error), from the jar listing? ;)

Obviously I can't tell which methods are there via this technique. I'm just
trying to show the dates on the different classes to show that they are from
the late-June version of the commons fileupload jar, as opposed to one of
the betas or RC* releases which had earlier dates. I'm taking it on faith
that the method I want is in there. Frankly, I'm not really sure how to tell
what methods are in a given class in a jar file.

>I can't think of anything else to try at this point.
>
>Any ideas anyone?

| Yeah.  Compile with the components on your deployment classpath in the
compile classpath.  That's | a standard practice to ensure consistency and
avoid the errors you're seeing.

I'm not sure I understand your advice. I did the compile in Eclipse on my
Windows machine. All I'm doing on the Linux box is importing a WAR file that
contains the already compiled class files from Windows.

| FileUploaded went through a couple of 1.0 RCs before the final 1.0 release
that did not work with
| tomcat.  If you're really interested in the details, search the
commons-dev list archive.

Haven't I already established that I'm using the final 1.0 release rather
than one of the RCs or betas?

| Tomcat 4.1.26, which is looking like the next stable release at the
moment, have the fileupload 1.0 | final.  Feel free to download and use it.

Do I really need to do this? Tomcat 4.1.24 and commons-fileupload-1.0.jar
seem to work fine on my Windows machine. Shouldn't they also work fine on
the Linux box?

I'm still relatively new to Tomcat and Linux so I may be asking stupid
questions; if so, I don't mean to be. I'm just trying to understand what's
going wrong. It's very possible that I've made some kind of newbie mistake;
I'm just trying to understand what it is and how to fix it.

Rhino