tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Rhino" <rhi...@sympatico.ca>
Subject Re: Weird Problems installing servlets in Tomcat
Date Tue, 22 Jul 2003 14:11:52 GMT
commons-fileupload-1.0.jar is in /var/tomcat4/server/lib.

I'm not sure if that's the *best* place for it but I thought that was one of
the two places where you can put jars and have them visible to all the
servlets that might need them.

Rhino

----- Original Message -----
From: "John Turner" <tomcat-user@johnturner.com>
To: "Tomcat Users List" <tomcat-user@jakarta.apache.org>
Sent: Tuesday, July 22, 2003 9:21 AM
Subject: Re: Weird Problems installing servlets in Tomcat

> Where is commons-fileupload-1.0.jar located?  Is it in the correct
> location for the ClassLoader to find it?
>
> John
>
> Rhino wrote:
>
> > Tomcat has suddenly started behaving rather strangely on our Linux
> > server. I was hoping someone here could give me some insight into the
> > reasons and some suggestions for resolving the problem. We are running
> > Tomcat 4.1.24 on a Linux Mandrake 9.1 box.
> >
> > I wrote a servlet on the weekend which worked on my Windows XP machine
> > but misbehaved slightly on the Linux server when installed there.
> > Yesterday, I figured out what the problem was and revised the servlet.
> > The revised version worked in Windows so I tried to install it in Linux.
> > That's when the weirdness started: I can't install the WAR file in
> > Tomcat. It always fails on the same error:
> >
> > java.lang.NoSuchMethodError:
> > org.apache.commons.fileupload.FileUpload.setSizeMax(I)V
> > I checked the Javadocs and found that the setSizeMax() method is part of
> > the class FileUploadBase, not FileUpload, so I immediately suspected
> > that the Linux box had an older version of the commons fileupload jar,
> > which only went to version 1.0 at the end of June. I searched the Linux
> > box and found commons-fileupload.jar, which is NOT the current version,
> > and also found commons-fileupload-1.0.jar which IS the current version.
> > I deleted the old one and now the only version of the jar on the server
> > is commons-fileupload-1.0.jar.
> >
> > I tried installing the WAR file again but get the same error. I even
> > tried installing a newer version of a different WAR file that doesn't do
> > file uploads and IT failed on the same error. What is going on here?
> >
> > I took a peek inside the commons-fileupload-1.0.jar and got this, which
> > looks just fine to me:
> > jar tvf commons-fileupload-1.0.jar | more
> >      0 Wed Jun 25 23:12:04 EDT 2003 META-INF/
> >    420 Wed Jun 25 23:12:04 EDT 2003 META-INF/MANIFEST.MF
> >      0 Wed Jun 25 23:11:58 EDT 2003 org/
> >      0 Wed Jun 25 23:11:58 EDT 2003 org/apache/
> >      0 Wed Jun 25 23:11:58 EDT 2003 org/apache/commons/
> >      0 Wed Jun 25 23:11:58 EDT 2003 org/apache/commons/fileupload/
> >   6020 Wed Jun 25 23:11:58 EDT 2003
> > org/apache/commons/fileupload/DefaultFileItem.class
> >   1541 Wed Jun 25 23:11:58 EDT 2003
> > org/apache/commons/fileupload/DefaultFileItemFactory.class
> >   1547 Wed Jun 25 23:11:58 EDT 2003
> > org/apache/commons/fileupload/DeferredFileOutputStream.class
> >   2159 Wed Jun 25 23:11:58 EDT 2003
> > org/apache/commons/fileupload/DiskFileUpload.class
> >    792 Wed Jun 25 23:11:58 EDT 2003
> > org/apache/commons/fileupload/FileItem.class
> >    262 Wed Jun 25 23:11:58 EDT 2003
> > org/apache/commons/fileupload/FileItemFactory.class
> >    811 Wed Jun 25 23:11:58 EDT 2003
> > org/apache/commons/fileupload/FileUpload.class
> >    672 Wed Jun 25 23:11:58 EDT 2003

org/apache/commons/fileupload/FileUploadBase$InvalidContentTypeException.cla
ss
> >    669 Wed Jun 25 23:11:58 EDT 2003

org/apache/commons/fileupload/FileUploadBase$SizeLimitExceededException.clas
> >    651 Wed Jun 25 23:11:58 EDT 2003
> > org/apache/commons/fileupload/FileUploadBase$UnknownSizeException.class
> >   7449 Wed Jun 25 23:11:58 EDT 2003
> > org/apache/commons/fileupload/FileUploadBase.class
> >    486 Wed Jun 25 23:11:58 EDT 2003
> > org/apache/commons/fileupload/FileUploadException.class
> >    894 Wed Jun 25 23:11:58 EDT 2003

org/apache/commons/fileupload/MultipartStream$IllegalBoundaryException.class
> >    894 Wed Jun 25 23:11:58 EDT 2003

org/apache/commons/fileupload/MultipartStream$MalformedStreamException.class