tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Rhino" <rhi...@sympatico.ca>
Subject Re: Recycling Tomcat
Date Sun, 20 Jul 2003 12:33:30 GMT
Sorry, I mis-stated my first problem slightly. Please see below for the correction.

  ----- Original Message -----
  From: Rhino
  To: tomcat-user
  Sent: Saturday, July 19, 2003 11:51 PM
  Subject: Recycling Tomcat

  Hi!

  We are running Tomcat 4.1.24 on a Mandrake 9.1 Linux box.

  Occasionally we need to recycle Tomcat and the only way the administrator has found which
works is to delete the lock file for Tomcat and then start Tomcat. I have to believe that
there is a more elegant way to do it.

  What I should have said is that the administrator has to delete the lock file manually in
order to recycle Tomcat ONLY WHEN TOMCAT HAS CRASHED. The administrator has also told me "While
there is a restart available it does not work correctly. Essentially it tries to start Tomcat
before it is finished  stopping it.  I can recycle Tomcat by stopping then waiting about a
minute then starting Tomcat. Again, as long as Tomcat was running this works fine."

  I would also love to be able to recycle Tomcat remotely. I am remote from the server but
have access to it from SSH, which gives me a secure command line to the server.

  Can anyone help with suggestions for either problem?

  Rhino
  ---
  rhino1 AT sympatico DOT ca
  "If you want the best seat in the house, you'll have to move the cat."