tomcat-users mailing list archives

From "Feltesse Julien" <j.felte...@externet.tm.fr>
Subject RE : Get rid of socket write error
Date Thu, 24 Jul 2003 14:24:10 GMT
Hi John, thanks for trying to fix my problem.
Nevertheless, there are some points that need to be cleared here :

> 1. Figure out why there is "slow response time" and fix it.
The slow response time has its origin in poorly designed SQL queries
(that take up to 5 secs to execute...) but we are not responsible for
this, nor are we in charge of the sql part in this project. So we need
to cope with it.

> 2. Train your users to only click once.
It's impossible to train users to act according to your wishes. Maybe if
the problem is simple and thus can understand why they must act
differently, it's possible. In our case, we just can't tell them "please
be patient, otherwise you'll throw Socket write errors exceptions" ;)

> 3. Rotate your logs every 24 hours using logrotate.
Logs rotate every 24 hours using the 'standard' logger included in
Tomcat.

> tell your developers to stop using System.out.println
> for printing stack traces when they have an exception
We don't. We use jsp error pages and manage exceptions gracefully. But
in this case, we don't even get a chance to manage the exception by
ourselves. Otherwise it would have been quite easy ^^
Here, Tomcat throws the exception and logs it WITHOUT asking anyone
else.
That's all it's about here.

But thanks for trying to help !