tomcat-users mailing list archives

From John Turner <tomcat-u...@johnturner.com>
Subject Re: Tomcat Authentication Nightmare
Date Mon, 30 Jun 2003 14:53:13 GMT

Not sure what you are looking for, but we do this on all of our web apps.
Users can bookmark the login page all they wish, in fact the login page is
index.jsp.  They type their username and password in, click submit.  This
posts to a JSP, the JSP checks against a database, and approves or
disapproves.  If approves, sets a session variable.  On every other JSP,
there is a check for the session variable.  If not set, bounce to
index.jsp.

There are probably other much more elegant ways to do it, and probably ways
to do this built-in to Tomcat, but the method above works for us.

If there's another, more elegant way to do this, I'd love to see an
explanation of it and the rationale for it.

John