tomcat-users mailing list archives

From John Turner <tomcat-u...@johnturner.com>
Subject Re: Virtual domains with Tomcat
Date Mon, 23 Jun 2003 13:41:17 GMT

Yes.  In general, for every Apache ServerName, you need a corresponding
Host entry in Tomcat's server.xml.

The Apache connectors are just pipelines, they do not do any work on behalf
of Tomcat.  Thus, when Tomcat receives the request, it has to do the same
sort of host header processing that Apache has to do.  If Tomcat cannot
find a Host entry that corresponds to the HTTP Host Header it is receiving
on the request, it will default to the host name listed in the defaultHost
parameter in server.xml.  Apache does the same thing...if it can't find a
VirtualHost to match the host header, it defaults to the global
VirtualHost, or rather the global ServerName.

The syntax for defining a virtual host in Tomcat's server.xml is different
than Apache's httpd.conf, but the principles and concepts are the same.

John