tomcat-users mailing list archives

From John Turner <tomcat-u...@johnturner.com>
Subject Re: [OT] best hardware config for Tomcat
Date Fri, 20 Jun 2003 13:05:02 GMT

The biggest effect on Tomcat's performance will be the architecture and
design of your application.  You can buy the biggest fastest server in the
world, and have lousy performance if your application architecture is poor.

If this is a production server, the absolute minimum I would consider for
"production", that is, for providing services that others pay me to
provide, and providing those services in such a way as to have the highest
uptime possible, is:

Abs. minimum:
P3-1.4 GHz (dual absolutely preferred)
1024 GB RAM
2 36GB SCSI drives, RAID 1 (mirrored)
100Mbps NIC

Medium:
Dual P3-1.4GHz
2GB RAM
3 36GB SCSI drives, RAID 5 (2 + spare = 72GB usable)

Better:
Dual P3-1.4 or higher
4GB RAM
3-5 36GB SCSI drives, RAID 5

Still Better:
Dual P3-1.4 or higher
6GB RAM
as much disk as you can provide

Obviously, disk depends on how much you think you will need.  My servers
provide services to about 25 different clients.  Each has their own Tomcat
instance.  My servers are dual P3, 6GB RAM, 800GB-1TB disk in RAID-5 with
parity and hot spare, dual everything (dual NIC, dual power supply, dual
fans, etc).

Don't get bogged down in desktop PC terminology like DDR RAM, etc....for
servers that sort of stuff is irrelevant.  You want stability, not
speed...having the fastest CPU or the fastest RAM technology does you
nothing if your server keeps going down.  For servers (if you're serious
about it being a server), you want redundancy, parity and error-checking
and spares over everything else.  If it were up to me, I would take a
budget of X dollars and trade performance specs like MHz and GB for
redundancy, all day.  Drop back on CPU and RAM if it means you can get RAID
disk (hardware RAID is better than software RAID), redundant power
supplies, etc.  If all you are doing is looking to buy a desktop PC and
call it a server, then just buy whatever you want...it won't really matter,
and sooner or later your "server" will go down.

Even then, pay attention to the architecture and design of your
application, and test it under load...that will make more of a difference
than jacking up some RAM or CPU hardware.

John