tomcat-users mailing list archives

From John Turner <tomcat-u...@johnturner.com>
Subject Re: installing Tomcat without being root
Date Mon, 02 Jun 2003 12:38:46 GMT
On Mon, 2 Jun 2003 09:44:07 +0200, <kurtc@inwind.it> wrote:

> Hello,
> thanks to your advice i had been able to install tomcat and run all my
> servlets, but I have still 2 problems:
>
> 1) Having   installed TomCat standalone as a non-root user, TomCat is
> reachable only at port 8080, while the DNS is set for the port 80,
> ie www.myhost.com:8080 works, but www.myhost.com dont. What should i do
> is
> this case?

Only root can bind a process to port 80.

> 2) the Host inside (the Engine tag) has still the name "localhost", and
> not
> the name it should have www.myhost.com. It works all fine, either
> browsing
> the my site remotely and locally. I read through the documentation, and i
> did not find what is the difference between having it set to "localhost"
> or
> to the right host name ("www.myhost.com"). Any hint?

The name is the name of the virtual host that Tomcat will respond to.  If
it is "localhost" and Tomcat receives a request for "my.domain.com", then
Tomcat will not serve it, or will serve it using the default Host and
Context, which may or may not be what you want.  If you want Tomcat to
respond to requests for "my.domain.com", then set up a Host container and
use "my.domain.com" for the name parameter, just as it is done for
"localhost".

John